Who: Merc & Nina Boyer
What: Twilight Tour of Kiona Road Tree Farm
When: June 20, 2023 5:30 pm
Where: 418 Kiona Road, Randle, WA 98377
Driving Directions: On Highway 12 between Glenoma and Randle turn onto Savio Road. Drive about 1 mile. Then turn onto Kiona Road, driving towards Cowlitz Falls Campground. At about 2 miles, see WFFA Forestry Tour sign at 418 Kiona Road. A greeter will show you where to park.
Merc & Nina Boyer were our 2023 Lewis County Tree Farmers of the Year. They own two (2) forestland parcels in Lewis County. The Boyers purchased this property in 2014 because it was contiguous to Kelly (Boyer) and Chris Starling, their daughter and son-in-law’s tree farm. The 20 acre parcel had fallen out of Designated Forestland (DFL) due to ‘lack of sufficient trees’. Merc and Nina have been busy the last 9 years with a major “Reforestation” effort. The project has been a challenge. Recently, Merc & Nina have built a cabin on the property. The tour will be a 0.5 mile walking loop on fairly flat terrain with 4 “Stop & Talks.’
- The challenge of Reforestation on unmanaged acreage 8 years after logging
- Precommercial thinning and tree pruning
- Government assistance programs utilized
- Management for wildlife…particularly birds
- Supplemental forest products…ie. Salal, WW Pine bows
- Strategies implemented fighting scotchbroom and other competing vegetation
- Mechanical & chemical control of brush
- Combating laminated root rot
- Silviculture in pumice soil
- Dealing with land depressions and frost pockets
- A Kiona Mountain view at twilight
DNR Service Forester Mackenna Milosevich will be present to answer questions
An RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org would be appreciate but not required.
Questions? Please call Merc @ 360 480 4282.